How can we outwit and escape the numbing trance that everyday routine seems to foster? What can we do to stay alert to the subtle miracles and intriguing mysteries and numinous beauty that surround us on all sides?
1. Make it a daily practice to refresh the ways we perceive the world.
2. Scan regularly for opportunities to play and for creatures that like to play.
3. Assume that the entire world is a constantly changing source of oracular revelation that has meaning for us.
4. Experiment with what happens when we use empathy and intuition to imagine how animals and other people experience life.
5. Don't take things too seriously or too personally or too literally.
6. Expose ourselves regularly to provocative myths and intriguing symbols. Seek out stories that bend and twist our beliefs. Be open to exploring events and phenomena that elude rational explanation.
7. Regularly give our unconscious minds the message that we want to feel deeply.
8. Cultivate a willingness, eagerness, and receptivity to being surprised.